If you’ve dropped your iPhone in water, there’s a chance that liquid has gotten into the Lightning connector. This can cause all sorts of problems, from connection issues to charging problems. But don’t worry, there’s an easy fix.
iPhones shut off power temporarily to their ports when they become wet as a safety feature to prevent electrical shorts. If this happens, you’ll see a message on your screen that says “Liquid Detected” and you won’t be able to charge your device or use headphones until the port dries out.
If you see this message, don’t panic! Simply follow the steps above and you’ll be back up and running in no time.
List of iPhones that have this feature:
Things not to do if you drop your iPhone in water:
- Do not try to turn it on
- Do not use a hair dryer
- Do not put it in the oven
- Do not microwave it
- Do not use compressed air
- Do not use a vacuum cleaner
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Force and gravity are your friends. Immediately turn your phone off and upside down so that any water in the Lightning connector can drain out.
2. If possible, remove the SIM card tray and any other removable parts so that they can air dry separately.
3. Use a soft, dry cloth to gently dab the outside of the phone and absorb any remaining water. Be careful not to get moisture inside any openings.
5. Put your phone in a safe, dry place and let it air dry for at least 24 hours. If possible, avoid using it during this time so that the water has a chance to evaporate completely.
6. Once your phone is completely dry, try charging it with a wireless charger. If that doesn’t work, plug it into a Lightning cable and see if it charges that way.
If your phone still isn’t working after following these steps, there may be water damage inside the device that is preventing it from functioning properly. In this case, you’ll need to take it to a professional for repairs.
Waterproof iPhone case
Unbreakable Waterproof Phone Pouch 2 Pack – IPX8 Waterproof Phone Case Dry Bag for iPhone 13 13 Pro Max 12 11 XR XS SE 2022 SE 2020, Samsung S22 S22+ S21 FE S10+, Huawei, Up to 7.0 inch- Black
How does it work?
When the iPhone detects it has been in water, a message saying “Liquid Detected in Lightning Connector” may appear. This is because the iPhone’s Lightning connector has tiny pores that can allow water to enter, which can then cause corrosion.
Force and Gravity
1. : The first step is to remove the iPhone from the water as soon as possible. Use gravity to your advantage and hold the iPhone with the screen facing down so that any water can drain out of the Lightning connector.
2. : Once you have removed the iPhone from the water, do not immediately try to turn it on or plug it into a power source. Instead, leave it to air dry for at least 24 hours. If you can, prop the iPhone up so that air can circulate around it and speed up the drying process.
3. : Once the iPhone is completely dry, you can try charging it wirelessly. If the wireless charging feature works, then there is no need to take further action. However, if the wireless charging feature does not work, then you may need to take your iPhone to an authorized Apple service provider for further diagnosis.
Once your phone is dry, go ahead and turn it back on. If everything appears to be working properly, congratulations! You’ve successfully fixed your water-damaged iPhone.